I am currently accepting new tech editing clients.
Using my background in finance and accounting as well as my experience with writing and publishing knitting patterns both independently and with 3rd party publishers I am able to help you publish patterns that are technically correct, clear, and consistent with your brand. Your patterns will be professional and polished and will inspire knitters to keep coming back to purchase more of your beautiful designs.
My editing style is collaborative; I will make suggestions and recommendations, but understand that all decisions are up to the Designer. The tech editing process is not complete until the Designer is comfortable with the finished pattern.
I am always happy to give your pattern one last look before publication.
My services include:
• Checking the math of your pattern: do stitches and rows match the gauge? for all sizes? does the gauge result in the finished measurements? etc...
• Verifying that charts and written instructions match each other and the pattern
• Ensuring pattern consistency
• Ensuring pattern clarity: making certain pattern instructions are as clear as possible
• Confirming pattern elements (that all info necessary to complete the project is included in the pattern)
• Editing for punctuation and grammar
• Confirming that the pattern matches any included photos
Additionally I can:
• Create charts from written instructions
• Create written instructions from charts
• Develop pattern layouts
• Develop style sheets
• Grade for multiple sizes
• Create schematics
Projects are billed on a flat rate basis. Rates are determined by the complexity of the pattern. My turnaround time is typically within one week. I will always confirm turnaround time and rate in advance of accepting the project. For a quote for your pattern please email me at Hello@DanaGervaisDesigns.com.
I work with the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat, Foxit, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, Stitchmastery, Pages, and Numbers.